For the second year, the Taieri Gorge Railway will be making a special trip from Dunedin up to Oamaru on Saturday, 31 August, as part of an annual driver training exercise. The trip was so popular last year–with Oamaruvians riding along with the passengers, often in Victorian dress, to familiarise them with all the attractions in town–that they are now making it an annual event.
This year, a number of Oamaru attractions are working with the train to offer special deals. Among them, the Portside Restaurant, located in Oamaru Harbour just opposite the Oamaru Blue Penguin Colony, will be offering a free tap beer to anyone who arrived on the train. That’s a deal that I imagine a lot of people will really be able to sink their teeth into!
Here are some of the other specials on offer this year:
- Oamaru town sights tour (one hour) on the Double Decker bus at 12noon and 1pm just $12.50 per person / family $30.
- Check out Steampunk, the Harbour, Lookout, Botanic Gardens and more.
- Lunch @ the splendiferous Portside and get a free tap beer or wine if you mention you are off the Train – get there on the Double Decker. Toooo easy!
- Oamaru Blue Penguin Colony is open as will be the Oamaru Opera House (you may still hear Kiri Te Kanawa’s voice echoing off the walls!).
- Connections from the Oamaru Railway Station to town for just $2pp / $5 family on arrival.
Tickets have gone really fast this time around, but the Taieri Gorge Railway will be operating a monthly service throughout the spring and summer between Dunedin and Oamaru, so there will be other opportunities to enjoy this relaxing way to reach lovely Oamaru.